2010年7月20日火曜日

Robinson Crusoe for Children(3)for 13/07/10

Today's introducing sentences

  1. raft
    meaning
     cases)いかだ、(漂流物)
      
    context: I had no oars nor any sail for my raft. But the water was smooth, the tide was flowing in, and a gentle wind was blowing toward the land.

    Definition;
    ex1.) a flat floating structure, usually made of pieces of wood tied together, used as a boat
    ex2.) a raft of something a large number of things:The company has launched a whole raft of new software products.
    ex3.)a flat floating structure that you can sit on, jump from etc when you are swimming


  2. savage
    meaning; 粗野な人、(野)蛮人

    context; The thought of being alone on a desert island made me feel very sad.I should have been glad at that moment to see even the face of a savage.

    Definition : [old-fashioned not polite]a very offensive word for someone who has a simple, traditional way of life



  3. load(ed)
    meaning;荷物を積んだ(副)

    context; All these things I loaded with much care upon my raft.Then I gathered up as many clothes as I could find; also a spare sail, a hammock, and some bedding.


  4. Definition; a loaded vehicle or container is full of things:
    ex1.)a loaded trailer
    ex2.)She came back carrying a loaded tray.


  5. rough
    meaning; でこぼこの土地、乱暴者(British English)[noun] 天候が荒れた[adj.]

    context; I let myself down into the water and began to swim. The sea was rough. The money was heavy. It was all I could do to reach the land.

    Definition : [weather/sea with strong wind or storms]:The ship went down in rough seas.



(Comment)
These words and phrases including "Robinson Crusoe for Children" . It is in Web site.
When I was looking up "Robinson Crusoe for Children" on Longman English Dictionary Online and "英辞郎",It was difficult to choose meaning and just fit choose meaning (case by case)



1 件のコメント:

  1. Good work! In regard to "raft," your first definition is correct.

    In regard to "loaded," in this context "load" is a verb (meaning to put things on the raft so that he can move them to the land).

    Keep up the good work!

    返信削除